This article provides you with the list of Nigerian institutions offering Fashion Designing as a course In Nigeria. Fashion Design has become one of the most profitable industries in the world.
This is because fashion designing has to do with essentials and growing trends in the world. That is, clothing is essential and style is loved by many. In order to maintain excellence and be successful in the fashion industry, you will need to have received expertise training.
Universities in Nigeria Offering Fashion Design
In Nigeria, there are higher institutions, Universities, Polytechnics, as well as vocational institutes which offer Fashion designing and other related courses for desiring candidates of the course.
Fashion designing as a course
Fashion designing as a profession entails a lot. It takes lots of creativity, intelligence, discipline in order to succeed in the fashion industry. The creativity attached to fashion designing is quite intriguing. Fashion designing is not just about using tread and needle to make clothe items. It involves uniqueness of designs and an ability to be business minded in order to carve a niche for oneself in the industry and make progress.
This is the reason why it is advised one goes to school to learn the trade. While having a university education is not compulsory, it is advised as it could give one am edge over others.
Fashion designing is fast becoming one of the most sought after profession all over the world. Gone are the days when Fashion designing and tailoring was left for the uneducated. Nowadays, graduates both in Nigeria and abroad have discovered the lucrativeness of the business and are now venturing into it. Even those who didn’t study Fashion designing as a course in the university now look to this profession in order to earn a living.
The need for fashion designing as a course to be included in the school curriculum cannot be over emphasized. Many people, upon graduation start to find their passion or interest in fashion designing. You can only imagine what I will be like if these ones had had the option of studying Fashion designing as a course in the higher institution.
There is only one university offering Fashion designing as a course in Nigeria. The other institutions are Polytechnics and training Institutes. When you study Fashion designing ad a course, you have an edge over others who simply have a knowledge about sewing. This is due to the following reasons;
- Upon completion of your Degree course in Fashion designing, you will be given a certificate and be recognized as a certified Fashion designer.
- While studying the course, you will be required to have gained experience while training with a fashion house or store. This is via a one year compulsory industrial attachment which is mandatory according to your institution of learning. Here, you will learn how to use Industrial sewing machines and also experienced the art of sewing.
- Upon completion of the course, you will have earned a certificate degree from the University or institution which then makes you a graduate of that particular institution
- Aside the technical and practical aspect of fashion designing which is essential, you also would must have had theoretical knowledge about the profession.
- You would learn aspects of the profession such as business management which would help you grow the business and your relationship with your customers. This would become handy when carrying out your jobs for clients.
These and many more are the advantages of obtaining a degree or Higher Diploma Certificate in Fashion Designing. After picking out what institution in which you want to earn a degree, you will then have to meet up with the admission requirements for the course.
Universities in Nigeria Offering Fashion Design
University of Abuja (UNIABUJA)
Kalac Christal Polytechnic (KCPOLY)
The Ibarapa Polytechnic, Eruwa (IBARAPAPOLY)
Kaduna Polytechnic (KADPOLY)
Auchi polytechnic (AUCHIPOLY)
Yaba College of Technology (YABATECH)
Benue State Poly (BENPOLY)
Jigawa State Institute of Information Technology (JSIIT)
Delta state polytechnic (DELTAPOLY), Delta state
Federal polytechnic, Oko (OKOPOLY)
Institute of Management Technology, Enugu (IMT Enugu)
Federal Polytechnic, Oko, Anambra State.
The Polytechnic, Ibadan, Oyo State
Hussaini Adamu Federal Polytechnic, Kazaure, Jigawa State.
Kano State polytechnic (KANOPOLY)
Polytechnics were originally established for the purpose of Skills acquisitions and practical. Hence, it is no wonder you can see more Polytechnics on the list of schools offering Fashion designing as a course than you would see universities. The non-inclusion of Fashion designing as a course in Universities curriculum was not by mistake but an intentional action by the ministry of Education. In some Polytechnics, the course is called Fashion Design and Clothing Technology.
General Entry Admission Requirements for Studying Fashion Designing as a Course
Most institutions accept any three Jamb subject combination. This can include English Language, Chemistry, Mathematics, and Physics for science students and English language, Government, Literature, Religious studies.
Candidates applying for Fashion designing as a course must have the following:
- O’level subject combination such as Home Economics/Technical Drawing and any four of the following subjects below:
Clothing and Textiles
Literature in English
- Applicant must pass the respective institution’s minimum cut off mark in order to be eligible for admission.
- Applicant must have a minimum of 5 credit pass in their O‘Level examinations which must include Mathematics and English Language.
- Note: A minimum of a credit pass in English Language is a compulsory requirement in all institutions.
- Depending on the institution, you may be required to undergo further screening to test for eligibility. Find out what processes are attached to the institution you have chosen for youself.
Direct Entry Requirements
Those who gain admission via direct entry do not use UTME and thereby enter into the second year of the course. Below are the admission requirements in order to gain Direct Entry admission to study Fashion Design.
‘O’ level credit passes in the following subjects:
Engish Language, Mathematics and any three from the following: